Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2, 2011: Grenoble - Rain, Croutons, Crypts, Hannibal

Today was a rainy day, which left us a bit at loose ends.

First: lunch. During which I attempted homemade croutons for the first time. Why have I never done this before? They were fantastic - stale baguette cut in cubes, slowly pan fried in butter and olive oil, seasoned with herbes de Provence. I have a new obsession.

Next: the St. Laurent Crypts. After enjoying my solitary visit so much I wanted to share the experience with Mark. It was noticeably busier today, which was probably due to the fact that it was raining - everyone else was seeking out indoor activities. But the museum was still great.

Finally: the Hannibal exhibition at the Musée Dauphinois. I'm fascinated by the idea that Hannibal and his troops (including the elephants) may very well have trod across some of the same Alpine land as us. Of course we'll never know for sure - there are umpteen competing theories of the exact route. The exhibition was a little disappointing though - skimpy on artifacts, and without more advanced French it was tedious to read panel after panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment